Monday 26 November 2012

Gerbeaud Cafe, Coffee Houses in Budapest


During my trip to Budapest, I had the opportunity to go to one of the finest coffee houses in Budapest.
Presenting:
Café Gerbeaud
Vörösmarty tér 7., V. district, M1 metro
Open: 9.00-21.00
It is on the end of Vaci Utca, at the moment there is the Christmas market going on as well.
Really marvelous walking there.
Nothing better than walking about sipping a warm cup of mulled wine whilst admiring the beautiful streets and Christmas decorations.

So back to the cafe, I researched it before I went there.
It's is one of the oldest and most famous cafés of Europe operating since the middle of the 19th century.

Anyway the interior is just simply gorgeous, gorgeous chandeliers hanging from beautiful ceilings with marble topped tables and silk ceiling to floor curtains.





Can't remember the name of this drink I had. I think it was caramel latte?
Absolutely delicious with a layer of caramel at the bottom and whipped cream on top.
It beats all the caramel lattes I've had in the past hands down. Better than Costa, Starbucks etc.
This is probably because they use fake caramel syrup in the lattes whereas this place uses real caramel. Delicious!
Anyway this place is slightly more expensive for Hungary standard. I think it cost me about 3-4 pounds. There's also a 15% service tax. I think it's probably catered more for tourists.
Also they have lots of delicious looking cakes there, but I ate too much before and I did not have any space left in my stomach for more cakes, I was also in a rush to catch another opera there, so I could only spend half an hour in that beautiful coffee house.

Conclusion, very well worth a visit!

No comments: